Monday, February 5, 2007

physical activity memoir, written for class


Running is my freedom. It’s my break from everything—I put aside the chaos of the day, the work I still have to do, the people I need to call back. And I run. Just putting on my running clothes brings a feeling of empowerment. I feel strong; I can do anything.

My route doesn’t vary much. It’s been the same route I’ve been running since my freshman year. This comforts me; the person I was and the one that I’ve evolved into has pounded this same pavement. The scenery stays constant, while I am changing. It sets a backdrop to the thoughts that go through my head as I run. I never think about the fact that I’m running. I just do it.

I settle into a moderate jog, until I hit a hill. For the sake of my calves, I sprint to the top, then slow back down. I pay attention to the beautiful homes I run past, letting my mind speculate on the family that lives behind the front door. I notice the gardens, the trees, the smattering of people enjoying the scenery as they take their early-evening walks. I keep running.

While my path might stay constant, my music does not. Sometimes, running is my mission and my music reflects that; it’s aggressive guitar solos and a fast drumbeat. Other times, I just want to coast, so I crank some upbeat R&B. Or, perhaps I’m feeling carefree—country music it is. My music selection sets the tune for my run…without it, I don’t stand a chance.

Sometime in late November, my running brought on injury. A stress fracture impinged on my ability to run—at least not for 6 weeks, my orthopedic surgeon informed me. I lost not only the feeling of freedom that running brings, but my freedom to run at all. I was confined to biking and using gym equipment; basically, the antecedent of running through Chapel Hill. This was surprisingly difficult to deal with. Losing my ability to just walk out the door and run my route was losing something that had become an innate part of who I was and what I loved. Working out became something I had to do, without any of the soul-enhancing benefits I gained from my regular jogs.

Finally, at the end of January, I started running again, this time with a new appreciation for the 30 to 40 minutes a day that I spend outside in Chapel Hill. It’s cold outside, but the wind is refreshing. As I near graduation, I realize what a blessing it is to live in a place this beautiful and to have the ability to appreciate it. Running is that chance for me to enjoy this place. I’m back to having my brief periods each day, for me, to get away and spend some time immersed in my thoughts. Time to be another runner in Chapel Hill. A time to exercise my body.

30 minutes for myself. Then, it’s back to the chaos.

No comments: